Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pumpkin and Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches

When I hosted Thanksgiving this year, I wanted to serve an array of desserts but try to steer away from doing the classics only. This is how this delicious treat idea came about - creamy pumpkin ice cream sandwiched between two crinkled, ginger cookies. The toughest part was finding good pumpkin ice cream. If it weren't Thanksgiving, I probably would have whipped up a homemade batch, but given the amount of food I was already making (herbed and butter turkey, wild rice and hazelnut stuffing, Brussels sprouts with pancetta, pumpkin praline tiramisu) this was an easy make-ahead dessert. I whipped up a batch of homemade ginger cookies the night before, and simply added a heaping tablespoonful of pumpkin ice cream right before serving.

The only tricky part was finding the perfect pumpkin ice cream! Il Gelatiere (one of my favourite gelato stores here in Toronto) didn't disappoint - they had a wonderful homemade batch of the fall-flavoured goodness. And to package these, I opted for these little chevron pouches - each just fits one of these two-bite treats!
Pumpkin and Ginger Ice Cream Sandwiches
Trip Ginger Cookies recipe
Pumpkin Ice Cream

Once ginger cookies have completely cooled, add a heaping tablespoon of ice cream in the center, and sandwich with another cookie. Serve immediately, or assemble right before serving. Enjoy!

19 comments:

Erin | Well Plated said...

Oh my goodness, these look d-lish! What a great idea for a make ahead treat. I adore ice cream in all its forms, and smushed between two soft ginger cookies sounds pretty much perfect.

Suzanne Perazzini said...

I can almost taste these cookies. They look divine. Ginger, pumpkin and ice cream make for a heavenly combination.

seth said...

Wow, very creative dessert! Not only that, but it fits in perfect with the spirit of autumn!

You know, if anyone here has any other good ideas for the holidays, you should submit them here:

https://apps.facebook.com/whcontests/the-natural-knowledge-247-holiday-recipe-contest

This is a newsletter I like, and they're having a recipe contest for the holidays. Definitely worth a look!

Jennifer Kendall said...

these look amazing!! i'd love to serve these for our american thanksgiving coming up!!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I've never had pumpkin ice cream, but I bet it's simply yummy between those ginger cookies! These little ice cream sammies would be a perfect little dessert bite. :)

Miss T said...

Omg I live these!!! (Love ;)
Pretty much love your blog all together.
Tx

Chocolate Shavings said...

Miss T: Thank you for the kinds words!

Vijitha said...

I am so glad that I found your blog. Delicious looking cookies. Who wouldn't love the ginger and pumpkin and ice cream in one piece. Ah! they look absolutely divine. I briefly browsed through your posts and I am sure that I will be back often to check your recipes. Let's stay connected.


Allison Day said...

Oooh, these sound fantastic!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Allison Day: Thank you!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Any excuse to have ice cream outside of summer is a brilliant coup. These are awesome and great flavors Jenn.

Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen said...

*drool* these look amazing!

WokandSpoon said...

I'm totally stealing your idea for this weekend when I have friends over!

Chocolate Shavings said...

WokandSpoon: Let me know how it goes ;) !

kale said...

these are so, so pretty!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Kale: Thank you! And they're such a nice treat !

turmericnspice said...

Ahhh looks perfect I love the spicy combo

Chocolate Shavings said...

Turmeric n Spice: Me too! The ginger and sweet ice cream are a heavenly combo.

Anonymous said...

Lovely combination of ginger biscuits and pumpkin ice cream.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin