Monday, December 15, 2008

Grapefruit, Avocado and Mint Salad


As I can tell from the recent pictures I published on tastespotting, Christmas spirit in truly taken over the food-blogosphere! I couldn't get enough of all your wonderful cookie pictures, and published a dozen in the past hour alone. Well, I am in the Christmas spirit too, and have a list of cookies and treats I want to make for the celebration. I'm sure you all agree that the holidays can however also be a little over-bearing. Sometimes, as a counterpart to all the craziness, I need a simple salad to get me through. This does it every time. Although, this salad is wonderful on a warm summer day, I also find it deliciously refreshing when you want something light but still satisfying in the winter. So here goes! I also love this salad because the acidity of the grapefruit helps to keep the avocado nice and green (as does the lemon in the dressing) so it's easy to make in advance for entertaining. However, if after a light meal you still want a treat, chocolate truffles, lemon ricotta cookies or panettone and chocolate bread pudding should surely do, right?

Recipe (for 4)
1 large grapefruit, cut into wedges
1 large avocado, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
Salt and black pepper
A handful of mint leaves

Mix the grapefruit and avocado in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil and lemon. Taste the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Spoon over the salad and garnish with fresh mint. Enjoy!

21 comments:

Shelby said...

This salad looks and sounds perfectly refreshing!

Darius T. Williams said...

This looks sooo good and refreshing - I bet it was quite tasty!

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

Oooh, this looks so refreshing and deliciuos. Clean and simple.

Dana Treat said...

This is exactly the kind of salad that I like to make with Mexican food or other spicy things. The contrast is awesome. And I totally hear you with needing something healthy with all of the indulgence!

a quiet life said...

looks fabulous, perfect to cleanse the palette and then jump fresh back on the sugar, cookie, cake and candy holiday train! my grapefruit tree is so heavily laden now your recipe is appreciated~

Anonymous said...

looks amazing! how much lemon juice do you put in the dressing?

Peter M said...

A beautiful salad...exceeds the title in looks and great for this time of year.

Deborah said...

I would have never thought to combine these ingredients, but it sounds like a wonderful, refreshing salad!

Anonymous said...

This is a great combination of ingredients. I love all three and would really enjoy this salad!

Jesse said...

This looks fantastic! I already need a break from holiday sweets. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the colours of this salad! It sounds refreshing :)

Deeba PAB said...

Refreshing & gorgeous...very very nice salad. I love the colours & flavours marrying so beautifully in there...have a great holiday season!

CookiePie said...

Beautiful salad! It looks so refreshing -- and you're so right, it's a lovely break from all the holiday decadence!

Maggie said...

Yum—this is exactly what I'm craving.

Ash said...

love the colours! This salad looks like summer... it brings me hope that through these snowy days summer is somewhere around the corner!

Maria said...

Gorgeeous salad!!

Cherie said...

such clean beautiful flavours!

Cynthia said...

I haven't visited in a while and I can see that I have clearly missed out on much!

Happy Holidays!

Cakebrain said...

Mmmm. looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... what an interesting flavor combination. I bet this tastes fantastic!

I would love to write about your salad on our blog! If you are interested send me an email at haley@keyingredient.com

Thanks!
Haley, KI Blogger

Beyond Curries said...

I've never seen such a beautiful looking salad before. The combination of avocado and grapefruit is new to me.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin